As people spend more time than ever in their backyards, the demand for outdoor living space materials is soaring to unexpected levels.
Building material distributers, lumber yards and home improvement centres have been busy with the demand for new and updated decks, and a slowdown is not expected. Here are some anticipated alternative decking trends to help you prepare for the upcoming building season:
- Environmentally sustainable solutions - There is a growing interest in sustainable alternatives to wood products, which contribute to deforestation and can leave a heavy carbon footprint. Trex composite decking offers an option that outperforms wood, with greater durability and fewer harmful environmental impacts. Trex boards are made from 95 per cent recycled content, and the company keeps more than 250 million pounds of plastic film and bags from landfills each year.
- Low maintenance - Today’s time-stretched homeowners are increasingly opting for low-maintenance and long-lasting materials. As such, demand is spiking for wood-alternative materials like aluminum, vinyl and composite. Unlike wood, Trex composites resist fading, staining, scratching and mould, nor will they rot, warp, crack or splinter. No sanding, staining or painting is required, and food and drink spills wash off easily with just soap and water.
- Commercially inspired designs - Homeowners are increasingly finding inspiration for their outdoor spaces in commercial settings, like upscale hotels and restaurants. As a result, there is a growing shift towards sleek, contemporary designs and materials, larger expanses of glass, smooth surfaces and clean lines.
- Creative deck designs - Deck design features are now being used routinely by contractors in the deck and remodelling industries. Some creative design elements that are taking a permanent hold include: use of multiple deck board colours in a deck build; single and double picture frames; breaker boards; unique inlays as focal points; and wide planks. Homeowners trust contractors to design an outdoor space that reflects their personal style. Unique features and creative designs are important to keep in mind for the upcoming building season.
- Railing design – Railings are becoming sleeker, simplified in their design and contemporary in style. As a main feature of a deck, the railing should be selected carefully to match the aesthetic of the home. Seamless railing options that are easy to install and maintain will continue to trend over the next year. Simplified railing systems such as preassembled aluminum railing and cable railing save deck builders valuable time and effort on railing installation. Cocktail rails and continuous top rails continue to gain popularity.
For additional ideas and expertise in deck and railing, visit your local Co-op Home Centre today.